Email Love v1.0 🎉
Friends, the day is finally here, Email Love has officially launched!
It has been quite a ride since acquiring the emaillove.com domain back in Oct 2018. There are over 100 emails I’ve handpicked for inspiration so far but it’s still early days. Let’s take a look at what Email Love has cooking…
ps. Email Love is now on Product Hunt if you have questions or want to show your support – I really appreciate it:)
- Email Inspiration
- Email-Related Design References
- Email Newsletter Discovery
- Email HTML Templates
- Email Author Profiles
- Website User Experience
- How to follow Email Love content
- Email Love Transparency
01. Email Inspiration
The core of Email Love is getting inspiration and references to create your own beautiful emails. Let’s take a look at the email view reused around the site:
It’s been super fun building this email view. I keep asking myself:
“What exactly would a user want when researching email inspiration?”
Let’s take a deeper look:
Yup, all emails around Email Love are the actual coded emails. There are three huge benefits:
- Email code inspection
- Mobile view
- Better showcasing of GIF animations within emails vs screenshots (example)
A few more fun facts about the coded emails:
- All email links and tracking pixels are stripped, so stats don’t get funky on the email authors side.
- All email images are scraped, sent to TinyPNG for optimization, then uploaded to Amazon S3. The new image location now replaces the old, ensuring 100% uptime as well as not exhausting the author’s servers.
- The above drastically improves the code inspection experience as URLs are much shorter.
02. Email-related Design References [Discontinued in 2021]
Still a young section but the goal is to list particular design elements related to email. The first sub-category is Newsletter Sign Up Box design references to spark ideas to create your own:
03. Email Newsletter Discovery [Discontinued in 2021]
With the overwhelming abundance of newsletters, I want to try tackle discovering great ones while spotlighting their hardworking authors. Each review includes:
- Actual coded preview of the campaign sends
- Send frequency eg. weekly, monthly
- Newsletter author credit (name, image, website)
- Subscriber testimonials
- Direct newsletter subscribe link
04. Free Email HTML Templates [Discontinued in 2021]
Only a handful of templates for now, but they 100% attribution free and yup, they work in Mailchimp;)
05. Email Author Profiles
Each email featured has an author credit linking to their profile on Email Love. This is great if you like a particular author style and want more great references. Each author profile also links to their Twitter and website.
06. Website User Experience
Having ten years experience gathering feedback while building One Page Love, I’m confident we’re off to a flying start:
- All email preview images are hosted with IMGIX for lightening fast image delivery.
- Archives are all infinite scrolling for an optimal browsing experience
- The fixed, single-bar top navigation offers quick dropdown sub-categories browsing
- The search (using SearchWP) has been heavily customized to suggest relevant categories and tags as you type in real time:
07. How to follow Email Love content
Other than visiting emaillove.com regularly, there are three additional channels to get notified of new content.
Email Love Newsletter – emaillove.com/newsletter – sent every now and then curating only the best content from the website.
Email Love on Pinterest – pinterest.com/email_love – super motivating for me to see the low stats but I’m pinning new emails daily! (FYI: OPL has 370,000 monthly viewers on Pinterest, Email Love has 89)
08. Email Love Transparency
… last but not least I’m documenting the journey building Email Love while sharing behind-the-scenes breakthroughs, running costs, stats, milestones and more. Let me know what else you want to know:) Here are the start-up costs taken from the Transparency page:
|$1500||emaillove.com domain||via Afternic (watch)|
|$678||Outsourcing on email code cleaning script||via Upwork|
|$250||Branding clean up||by my friend Jason|
Well that’s a wrap for v1 of Email Love – early days but I’m super proud of this little guy so far. Big thanks to everyone who sent feedback during the BETA, please keep sending your suggestions as well as submitting those sweet sweet emails.